Huge Gently Used Book Sale Benefits Students, Teachers and Community
For 14 years CFB ISD Council PTA’s Gently Used Book Sale has been a major community literacy and fundraiser. Diane Dobis, Council PTA President shares “ This all-volunteer event wins the triple crown of community benefits:
- It recycles books, CDs, DVD, games;
- The low prices make it affordable for anyone looking for great items:($2/hardback and $1/paperback on Friday and Saturday and Half-price on Sunday with a box of books for only $12);
- All funds return to the schools and community through Council PTA grants and programs.”
This year’s chair, Sue Avery, is a Gently Used Book Sale veteran and long-time PTA supporter, said “We will have over 35,000 items for sale! We often find teachers restocking their classroom sets, home-schooling families getting materials, students and teachers finding great items. Throughout the sale days we see children huddled in corners paging through their precious finds. This sale is one of the largest community literacy events because good printed material is so affordable for our families.”
“One of the challenges is getting the word out on our location. This year we are at the district’s Technology Learning Center (TLC) at 2427 Carrick Street in Farmers Branch. It is easy to find because it’s right off I-3E and Valley View and the Dart Rail stop is just across the street. But whenever we change locations, our customers sometimes have a hard time finding us!” remarked Sue. “Our Facebook page and webpage provide complete details on the sale and we welcome volunteers to help sort the books and prepare for the sale.” More details can be found at www.gentlyusedbooksale.org and https://www.facebook.com/GentlyUsedBookSale
Sale dates are Friday, February 27, Saturday – February 28th and Sunday March 1st.
Carrollton-Farmers Branch Council PTA provides coordination, training, scholarships, grants and support for all of the active local PTA units on the 40 C-FB ISD campuses and centers along with the following programs:
- Teacher grants to support student achievement;
- Student scholarships;
- Training for PTA campus leaders;
- Family engagement/education programs on the campuses;
- Healthy Lifestyles initiatives such as Red Ribbon Week
- Reflections competitions which encourages creativity and recognizes achievements in Literature and the Fine Arts.
PTA membership is available to anyone who cares about public education. Ask any board member how you can join. See www.cfbpta.org and like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/councilpta